On Air NOW: Silk Non Stop

Listen Live

Posted on by Silk News

Cheshire Fire & Rescue Service are renewing their calls from the festive period about the dangers of cooking fires in the home.

This month of course includes Valentines Day and Pancake Day, when people will be using their cooking appliances for longer and using products that could become flammable and cause a fire if not cleaned properly.

The organisation therefore putting out the calls to remind people to clean their appliances and not leave cooking unattended.

Most fires start in the kitchen and a major cause of these fires is a build up of fat and oil in grill pans.

Advice from Cheshire Fire includes:

– Always clean the grill pan after using it, to avoid a build up of fat and oil in your grill pan

– Never leave cooking unattended

– Watch out if you are wearing loose clothing

– Make sure that you have a working smoke alarm

– Keep tea towels and cloths away from grills and hobs

– Don’t start cooking if you have had alcohol or are really tired

– If a grill pan catches fire, do not take risks – get everyone out of your home and call 999

Watch Manager Paul Rowlands from the service said: “Distraction is obviously a big problem when you’re cooking, so as long as you don’t get distracted you’ll stay safe.

“There’s also the cooking advice that we give all the time that people should clean their grills as a build up of oil and fat can catch fire.

“With the increase in cooking you normally always get an increase in cooking fires.

“Instead of this being a month where you can remember that fires do occur, we want people to remember it for the right reasons.”

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Part of the DEE RADIO GROUP.


Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester

Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester