On Air NOW: Silk Non Stop

Listen Live

Posted on by Phil Munns

Cheshire Fire and Rescue service are urging people to make sure their tumble dryers are safe.

It’s after a spate of dryer fires in January, including two in one day.

Incidents have been reported in Sandbach and Crewe as well as other parts of the county including Warrington and Ellesmere Port.

Head of Prevention Nick Evans said: “Altogether in the last three months we have had to extinguish 12 fires involving tumble dryers and a few of these have occurred while people were in bed.

“We know that tumble dryers are being used more now the weather has turned, so it is important that anyone using one follows some basic, but vital, safety advice to reduce the risk of fire. Simple steps include ensuring you remove the lint after every load of clothes has been dried, and never leaving the dryer running overnight or while you are out.”

Many appear to start overnight when the occupants of the house are asleep.

The service are re-issuing their tumble dyer safety advice which includes:

• Remove the lint from the trap after every load of clothes dried
• Do not cover the vent or any other opening
• Ensure the vent pipe is free of kinks and is not crushed in any way
• Only used recommended vent pipes, and not improvised ones
• Only vent the warm air to the outside of a building
• Do not put rags or materials into your tumble dryer if they have been used to soak up flammable liquids.

Nick added: “Residents also need to put registering domestic appliances at the top of their list to reduce the risk of home fires. They can do this by visiting www.registermyappliance.org.uk a website run by the Association of Manufacturers of Domestic Appliances (AMDEA) which provides quick and easy access to the registration pages.”

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn

Part of the DEE RADIO GROUP.


Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester

Web Design By Roodee Creative, Chester