A man who raped a woman following a night out in Macclesfield has been jailed.
Omar Bnyan appeared at Chester Crown Court on Friday 1 March where he was sentenced to eight years in prison.
The 23-year-old, of St Brendan’s Road North, Manchester, had previously been found guilty of rape.
The case was brought to the attention of Cheshire Police shortly after 4am on Sunday 23 July 2023, when the 29-year-old victim reported she had been raped earlier that morning.
She said she had been out in Macclesfield town centre from around 10pm on Saturday 22 July and during the course of the night had been approached by three men who were unknown to her. They had danced and had a drink together.
At around 3am, the three men asked if she wanted to go back to their house for an afterparty. However, the next thing the victim remembered was waking up inside a property in Macclesfield wearing no clothes from the waist down.
The victim left the address and called police.
Officers carried out numerous CCTV enquiries to identify the men who had been with the victim to establish what occurred. This included issuing a media appeal containing still images taken from the CCTV.
On Wednesday 26 July, officers were contacted to say that two of the men who were pictured wanted to speak to police after seeing their images in the appeal. The third man was also identified during interview. All three were subsequently arrested as part of the investigation while enquiries were conducted.
DNA linked Bnyan to the offence, who was subsequently charged. He was found guilty of rape on Friday 5 January, following a four-day trial.
A 20-year-old man was also charged with the offence, but he was found not guilty.
Following the sentencing, Detective Constable Jas Kaur of Macclesfield CID said:
“Bnyan thought he could take advantage of the victim in this case, and even after speaking to police following our CCTV appeal, he continued to deny his involvement up until the court proceedings where he was also unable to account for his negative omissions to police during the investigation.
“However, thanks to the bravery of the victim and the evidence provided during the trial, he was found guilty of rape.
“As this case demonstrates, we take all reports of sexual offences extremely seriously and will use all the tools we have at our disposal to bring people to justice and try to give victims the closure they deserve.
“I would also like to thank the victim for her courage throughout this investigation.”
To report any sexual offence, call Cheshire Constabulary on 101 or visit:
https://www.cheshire.police.uk/ro/report
Information can also be given anonymously, via Crimestoppers, on:
0800 555 111
Pictured - Omar Bnyan.
Musica Nova opens 2026–27 Season
Fly-tipping penalties in Cheshire East set to rise to £5,000
Cheshire East students celebrate GCSE success as results show continued strong performance
All Hallows Catholic College GCSE Results 2026
GCSE Success for Beech Hall School Pupils
Timeless Voices of Jazz at the Buxton Opera House
Report recognises Cheshire East Council’s turnaround progress
Ground broken at the Garden Village at Handforth site as updated plans submitted
Two men convicted in relation to theft from cars in Northwich
Winsford man sentenced for dealing cocaine
Police urge victim to come forwards following reports of robbery in Macclesfield
London man jailed following Crewe knife‑point robbery
Local businesses invited to learn about opportunities linked to the Leighton Hospital
Cheshire East students shine on A-level results day
Cheshire East recruitment event targets waste and recycling professionals and HGV specialist roles
League of Friends’ pack donation to East Cheshire NHS Trust
Comments
Add a comment