A man from Knutsford has been convicted of death by careless driving following a fatal collision in the town.
Gordon Hyland, of Bexton Lane, Knutsford was found guilty of the charge following a four day trial at Chester Crown Court.
The 50-year-old has been released on bail and is due to be sentenced on Friday 8 January 2021.
The charge relates to a collision which occurred on Thursday 28 March 2019 on the A50 Manchester Road.
Hyland had been visiting the hotel and decided to go home at around 6.15pm.
He got into his Silver Mercedes C220 and drove to the car park exit, indicating that he was turning right to go towards Knutsford.
Looking to his right Hyland could see a black BMW which was driving towards him.
As the vehicle got closer he saw that the car was indicating to turn left into the Cottons car park.
Noticing that that car was turning, Hyland pulled out of the junction.
But what he failed to do was check the road behind the BMW was fully clear.
He didn’t see a motorcycle, ridden by 29-year-old Ian Glanister, which was directly behind the BMW.
As a result Hyland collided with the motorcycle, a Suzuki, and Ian was trapped under the vehicle.
After realising that something had happened, Hyland stopped and got out of his car, where he saw the motorbike under his vehicle.
A number of other motorists also stopped and helped to release Ian and provided first aid.
Sadly, despite the best efforts of all those involved, Ian died at the scene.
PC Jim Rodger said, from the Serious and Complex Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This was a tragic but preventable collision caused by Hyland’s failure to check that the road was clear.
“As a result of that failure, a 29-year-old man has lost his life, a wife lost her husband and young girl has lost her dad.
“Their lives have been totally torn apart and will never be the same again.
“Driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right, and it comes with great responsibility to act within the rules laid down when you pass your test.
“Our thoughts remain with the family of the victim, who have been left devastated by this tragic incident.”
Cheshire Police and Crime Commissioner David Keane, added: “Collisions are the biggest killer in Cheshire and sadly Ian was one of 36 people who lost their lives in 2019.
“That’s 36 people who didn’t come home, 36 families who had their whole worlds completely shattered, and 36 people whose lives which were cut short.
“That is why as Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire I am committed to doing all I can to improve roads safety."
Congleton man jailed for engaging in sexual communications with a child
Three men sentenced following Disley burglary
Two men sentenced following violent altercation in Winsford
Local Mental Health Nurse awarded prestigious Queen’s Nurse title
Musica Nova March Concert
Macclesfield smashes Pancake Race for local NHS charity
Cannabis farmer who hid for eight hours during registry office raid jailed
Man charged with burglary and driving offences
Cheshire Police Commissioner revealed to be billing luxury car costs to taxpayer.
County-wide collaborative immigration and safeguarding operation yields positive results
Beech Hall School Marks Children’s Mental Health Week with Animal Therapy Experience
Appeal for witnesses following attempt burglary in Alsager
Man jailed for stealing from shops in Congleton
Match Report - Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Brentford
Update on Flag Lane Baths
Council supports stronger measures to curb smartphone use in Cheshire schools
Man arrested following M6 police pursuit
Call for sites launched to help shape new Cheshire East Local Plan
Comments
Add a comment