A nurse has been convicted of murdering new-born babies at the hospital where she worked.
|
Lucy Letby used a variety of methods to secretly attack a total of 13 babies on the neonatal ward at the Countess of Chester hospital between 2015 and 2016. Seven babies died as a result and today a jury found Letby guilty of their murder. She was also found guilty of seven counts of attempted murder relating to six other babies. She will be sentenced at Manchester Crown Court on Monday (August 21). During the trial, which began in October last year, Manchester Crown Court heard that doctors at the hospital began to notice a significant rise in the number of babies who were dying or were unexpectedly collapsing. When they were unable to find a medical explanation, police were alerted and an investigation followed. Letby, now aged 33, was first arrested in July 2018 and subsequently charged in November 2020. The prosecution was able to present evidence of Letby using various methods to attack babies, including: the injection of air and insulin into their bloodstream; the infusion of air into their gastrointestinal tract; force feeding an overdose of milk or fluids; impact-type trauma. Her intention was to kill the babies while deceiving her colleagues into believing there was a natural cause. Pascale Jones of the CPS said: “Lucy Letby sought to deceive her colleagues and pass off the harm she caused as nothing more than a worsening of each baby’s existing vulnerability. “In her hands, innocuous substances like air, milk, fluids - or medication like insulin - would become lethal. She perverted her learning and weaponised her craft to inflict harm, grief and death. “Time and again, she harmed babies, in an environment which should have been safe for them and their families. “Her attacks were a complete betrayal of the trust placed in her “My thoughts are with families of the victims who may never have closure, but who now have answers to questions which had troubled them for years.” Jonathan Storer, Chief Crown Prosecutor, CPS Mersey-Cheshire, said: “This is an utterly horrifying case. Like everyone who followed the trial, I have been appalled by Letby’s callous crimes. “To the families of the victims - I hope your unimaginable suffering is eased in some way by the verdicts. Our thoughts remain with you. “Our prosecution team and police investigators have my respect and gratitude. These convictions could not have happened without their dedication to securing justice.”
Key evidence in the prosecution case
|
|
Congleton man jailed for engaging in sexual communications with a child
Three men sentenced following Disley burglary
Two men sentenced following violent altercation in Winsford
Local Mental Health Nurse awarded prestigious Queen’s Nurse title
Musica Nova March Concert
Macclesfield smashes Pancake Race for local NHS charity
Cannabis farmer who hid for eight hours during registry office raid jailed
Man charged with burglary and driving offences
Cheshire Police Commissioner revealed to be billing luxury car costs to taxpayer.
County-wide collaborative immigration and safeguarding operation yields positive results
Beech Hall School Marks Children’s Mental Health Week with Animal Therapy Experience
Appeal for witnesses following attempt burglary in Alsager
Man jailed for stealing from shops in Congleton
Match Report - Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Brentford
Update on Flag Lane Baths
Council supports stronger measures to curb smartphone use in Cheshire schools
Man arrested following M6 police pursuit
Call for sites launched to help shape new Cheshire East Local Plan
Comments
Add a comment