A man who purposely caused a fire at a building in Henbury has been jailed.
Christopher Payne, of Hewston Crescent in Macclesfield, was jailed for two years and seven months at Chester Crown Court on Thursday 13th November.
Payne, 40, was handed the sentence after he pleaded guilty to one count of arson.
The court heard that on Thursday 22nd May 2025, officers responded to reports that an unknown man had been seen on video doorbell footage forcibly entering a site office building on an industrial site near to Pepper Street, Henbury.
The man, who would later be revealed as Payne, had been captured on camera donning a balaclava just seconds before smashing his way inside the property.
An officer swiftly attended the scene and found that the front door of the property had been smashed open and that a small fire was burning inside.
Payne was also inside the address and, upon seeing the officer, fled the scene on foot. The officer called for backup and requested colleagues from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service attend the scene to respond to the fire and then pursued Payne.
After a short foot chase the officer detained Payne, who told them he had been inside the address but did not take anything from inside.
Back at the property that Payne fled from, colleagues from Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service contained the fire, that had now spread across the building.
Firefighters later confirmed to police colleagues that several fires had been set inside.
Following the fire, the insurance company that covered the building authorised a £500,000 payout to cover the damage that had been caused by the fires.
In custody, Christopher Payne answered “no comment” to all questions put to him. He remained silent when shown the various pieces of video footage that clearly showed him donning a balaclava, forcing his way inside and then fleeing the property upon police arrival.
Payne would initially plead not guilty to the offence of arson, but he would change his plea part-way through his trial in October.
He was also ordered to pay a £228 surcharge on top of his custodial sentence.
Detective Constable Doug Whitfield, who oversaw the case, said:
“I welcome the sentence handed to Christopher Payne and I hope that he uses the next two-plus years behind bars to think about his actions.
“As this case has shown, it is very important to have some form of CCTV or video capture system covering the vicinity of your property. Installing these can be a crucial tool to help you protect your property and deter any would be thieves or, in this case, arsonists.
“It was this video footage that was vital in both police being alerted to the intruder forcing his way into the property and capturing him fleeing from it upon officers’ arrival.”
Pictured - Christopher Payne, of Hewston Crescent in Macclesfield.
Congleton man jailed for engaging in sexual communications with a child
Three men sentenced following Disley burglary
Two men sentenced following violent altercation in Winsford
Local Mental Health Nurse awarded prestigious Queen’s Nurse title
Musica Nova March Concert
Macclesfield smashes Pancake Race for local NHS charity
Cannabis farmer who hid for eight hours during registry office raid jailed
Man charged with burglary and driving offences
Cheshire Police Commissioner revealed to be billing luxury car costs to taxpayer.
County-wide collaborative immigration and safeguarding operation yields positive results
Beech Hall School Marks Children’s Mental Health Week with Animal Therapy Experience
Appeal for witnesses following attempt burglary in Alsager
Man jailed for stealing from shops in Congleton
Match Report - Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Brentford
Update on Flag Lane Baths
Council supports stronger measures to curb smartphone use in Cheshire schools
Man arrested following M6 police pursuit
Call for sites launched to help shape new Cheshire East Local Plan
Comments
Add a comment