Two people who brutally assaulted a man at his home in Congleton and left him in a coma for six months have been jailed for almost 20 years.
At around 12.40pm on Wednesday 2 September 2020 Shane Dawson attended Congleton police station asking for an ambulance for a man who he said was having a seizure at a flat on Meadow Mill Court.
Paramedics were called and police attended the address where they found 56-year-old man with serious injuries to his head.
The man was rushed to the Royal Stoke Hospital where he as placed into an induced coma.
An investigation was subsequently launched by Macclesfield CID to establish how the victim had sustained his injuries.
Just days after the incident, on Saturday 5 September, Dawson went back to Congleton police station and confessed that he was involved in the attack.
He told officers that he had repeatedly kicked the victim in the head following a disagreement between the pair, he also revealed that Amanda Alcock, the victim’s partner, had also been part of the attack.
Alcock was subsequently arrested and all her clothing and footwear was seized. During questioning she denied any involvement, stating that she was merely present at the time of the attack.
Despite her claims, forensic experts discovered blood splatter on her footwear which proved that she was also involved in the attack.
The pair were both charged with section 18 assault and on appearing in court they both pleaded guilty.
The pair re-appeared at Chester Crown Court on Thursday 17 June, for sentencing.
49-year-old Dawson of Meadow Mill Court in Congleton was jailed for 10 years, while 45-year-old Alcock, of Wellington Terrace, Rhyl was sentenced to nine years in prison.
Following the sentencing Detective Constable Sarah Newton, of Macclesfield CID, said: “Having worked as an officers for 16 years this attack is one of the most brutal and life changing incidents I have ever dealt with.
“The victim spent over six months in a coma and while he has now regained consciousness, medical experts believe it is unlikely that he will ever be able to talk or walk again, and will need permanent care for the rest of his life.
“While the sentences handed to Dawson and Alcock won’t change what happened that day, I hope that they provide reassurance for the victim’s family and the wider community.”
Cheshire Police Commissioner revealed to be billing luxury car costs to taxpayer.
County-wide collaborative immigration and safeguarding operation yields positive results
Beech Hall School Marks Children’s Mental Health Week with Animal Therapy Experience
Appeal for witnesses following attempt burglary in Alsager
Man jailed for stealing from shops in Congleton
Match Report - Macclesfield Town 0 - 1 Brentford
Update on Flag Lane Baths
Council supports stronger measures to curb smartphone use in Cheshire schools
Man arrested following M6 police pursuit
Call for sites launched to help shape new Cheshire East Local Plan
Man jailed for selling cannabis after previously being spared prison
Predator jailed for 26 years in Northwich
Applications for council’s warmer homes scheme are open
Man charged with making nuisance calls to police
Man jailed for seven years for drugs offences in Crewe
MACCLESFIELD’S SILK MUSEUM UNVEILS VIBRANT PROGRAMME FOR WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH
Vital investment for fire and rescue service agreed by councillors
Comments
Add a comment